Sunday, August 14, 2005

Fringe Sunday

Today, most venues are dark and most shows have a day off. Not all, but most. In the Meadows, a huge park about 15 minutes walk south of High Street, a huge circus like event was taking place. There were about 10 tents set up to showcasse theatre and music shows taking place in the Fringe. It was a wild party like atmosphere, people camped out on blankets with pic-nic lunches, the High Street buskers doing their pitches in the park.

Of course everyone who usually gives out flyers and postcards on High Street were there as well, trying to desperately get an audience. I spoke with a guy from Northhampton, MA who told me they are in a 200 seat venue and are playing to 10 people a day. They brought a car as part of their set. A car! Stripped of engine and other non essential parts, they shipped the body of a huge american car. And I thought we shipped a lot of stuff. They are hurting for an audience.

There were some new street shows I hadn't seen before. It's interesting to me how the buskers are taking advantage of new technology, like wireless mic's and portable sound systems. But other than that, the juggling shows, the magic shows, the acrobats and the clowns are all the same as when I was on the street a lot in Paris in the 80's.

I saw a good violinist who had a unique hook. He played with a back up tape, classical and rock tunes, while he was standing on a tight rope, on one foot. Steve, you should try that!

Tonight I'm taking myself out for Indian food and go hear some music. there is an open mic I may go play at as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Noel

Thank you for writing your Blog. It's been great "travelling" with you to the Festival.And I've never commented on one of these before...
Talk soon, I hope.

Lisa M in Sydney

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great . If I can help, let me know. If you ever need any printing done, I'm sure you'd be interested in Letterhead/Envelopes Try Letterhead/Envelopes

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»