Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super (FAT) Tuesday

Since I couldn't be in New Orleans partying my ass off on Mardi Gras, I did the next best thing. I voted in a monumental democratic primary.

Yesterday Kris and I went to vote first thing in the morning. Our polling place is a homeless shelter in the quickly gentrifying skid row area of downtown Los Angeles. We live about five minutes, by car from there. The building is very new and very nice. We have voted there several times since we moved here.

Outside the mission, scores of homeless people and all their belongings were scattered on the street around the mission. It was like they were kicked out for the day to allow the building to be a polling place. Many of the homeless we saw were women and African-Americans. I doubt many of them were voting. Are they aware of the changes taking place around them.

There is a new construction going up right next to the mission, looks like a condo building.

This area is changing quickly.

America is changing quickly, too. Yesterday my choice for democratic nominee for President was a woman and an African-American male. Wow. That is huge. One of them will be the next President of the United States. That is so cool.

I voted for Barack Obama. I like him, and I like his message of change. I like how he is firing up younger Americans and getting them to take an interest in our country. I like that when he speaks, he doesn't look like he is just reading a speech. I would like to see the race barrier in the oval office ended.

If Hillary is nominated, I would vote for her. I would also like to see the gender barrier in the oval office ended. But as much as I would love to see a female president, I don't think Hillary is the right woman. I think she brings too much baggage with her. And I can't ever forget she voted for the war in Iraq. And now she says she didn't think Bush would do what he did? She trusted him? What kind of judgment is that? And then she continued to vote to fund the war. And besides, in a country of 300 million people, is the gene pool so limited that only Bushes or Clintons are fit to run for president? Give me a break. I thought we got rid of monarchies a few centuries ago?

It hit me yesterday - the Bushies will get away with MURDER.

It seems like the Bushies didn't count on such a backlash to the last seven years of their un-democratic rule, but they did, in effect, create the backlash against them. They probably thought they could steal two presidential elections, rape and pillage Iraq, plunder the US treasury and steal all they wanted, destroy everything they don't like, continue to sow fear and hatred, line the supreme court with their people, enrich their pockets, trash the constitution, spy on American citizens, destroy the middle class and then come back and do it again.

Well, I'm glad to say that is not going to happen.

Their crimes, which will go unpunished (remember Scooter Libby), have been so egregious, that the backlash they have created will also be remarkable! A democrat for President! A woman or a black man!

The problem is, unfortunately, that they are going to have the last laugh. Because on Jan 20, 2009, when the new President is sworn in, they will slither away, and all the damage they have created will have to be cleaned up by someone else. They will just walk away and not be held accountable or responsible for the mess they made. Mark my words, they will get away with it, and then they will blame it all on the Democrats. Somehow, they will make all their believers believe it was not their fault and the Dem's caused it all. They are sneaky that way.

If that is how it is going to be, then hopefully, whoever the next president is, they will be just as crafty and smart and cunning and make such bold changes so America moves as quickly as possible toward a more forward thinking, prosperous and equitable new era.

We are a diverse country. There is no way Americans can ever all agree on one thing. But a majority of Americans agree that change is needed; that the occupation of Iraq must end, that jobs need to be created, that tax cuts for the rich are a sham, that a 3000 mile fence along the southern border is a joke. I'm glad to predict that change is a coming. Democrats make a lot of mistakes, too. Look at the ridiculous Michigan and Florida primaries? Look at the mess they are creating with delegates and super-delegates? They are often only thinking of their own gain as well. But at least they are not as greedy as the people who have run the country for the last seven years. Maybe that is the only difference. Still, it is a huge one. Its gonna be a bumpy ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so other than that, what did the Bushies do that was really so bad?

Ha!

Right on, brother, I loved what you wrote. And after seeing some of that border fence fiasco first hand, I'm as sick of the whole thing as you are.

Rock on, Obama!

Kris Cahill said...

Come on Noel, what do you really think about Bush??