Saturday, January 05, 2008

Coffee In Bed

Kris and I are drinking coffee and tea in bed. Its a thing we started a few months ago that we have made a daily ritual. The first one up puts on the water, makes the coffee and tea, and brings it to the other - in bed. It's like that old game you play with fortune cookies; add " in bed" after reading the fortune. "I'd like a cup of coffee please, in bed!"

Coffee in bed is a lot of fun. I thought I might have spilled some coffee by now, but I haven't. We sit up, we sip, we talk. We play pleasant music in the background. A calming cup of coffee. Ah, how I love coffee. Did you know coffee makes you smart?

We used to get up and drink our coffee and tea, and we would go straight to the computer and start checking email and working. That was okay, and some days I still have to do that, if I have to go to work early. But most days now we start like this, a little John and Yoko moment, a little togetherness moment, a little peace and quiet before the hustle and the bustle.

Today Kris got up first. I was groggy. I was still thinking about my dreams. I was still thinking about the movie we saw last night (Mira Nair's The Namesake - Three Pears on the Bikini Movie Review). I heard all the familiar morning sounds; water running into the tea pot, electric igniter turning the flame on on the range, flame going on, cups being washed. Then I smelled the coffee as the steaming water hit the grinds in my French press carafe.

Then Kris brings me a cup of coffee. I sit up, we get the pillows all situated just right. Lately we've also started reading blog entries to each other. Usually Kris reads me her blog entry from the day before and all the comments she gets. She thinks I don't read her blog because I'm so busy, but really its because I like her to read it to me in bed.

We are our small daily rituals. What are some of your small daily rituals? How many of them can you do in bed?

1 comment:

Kris Cahill said...

My daily rituals include daily meditation. My daily chocolate ritual is important too!