Thursday, August 27, 2009

Where's the refrigerator?


It's moving time. We've been in our loft for three years now, and it's time for a change. Mostly to lower our rent, but also for a change. Loft living is cool, but it has its drawbacks.

So I'm reminded of another curious thing about Los Angeles? Not every rental apartment comes with a refrigerator. Yes, I know that's odd, being from "back east". When I first moved here and looked at apartments, no one could really tell me why or how that started, just "...this apartment doesn't come with a refrigerator".

So, if you are a renter, you have to carry around a refrigerator with you when you move. I suppose you could leave it, I'm sure some people do. And what if you have a refrigerator and you move into a new place that has one already? I suppose you can sell yours, or ask the land lord to move his. If you do sell yours, and move again in a year, you may have to buy another one. It gets complicated. And if you find a really cool place and it doesn't have a fridge, would you really not take it because you have to spend a few hundred bucks on a fridge?

So as I scour Craig's List for our new apartment, I study the pictures of the kitchen closely. Is there a big empty space under the cabinet or not? Does it say refrigerator included? I even saw an ad today that says, " Comes with a gas stove!" Wow, really. The apartment comes with a stove? How nice.

We still haven't found where we are going to move to yet, but we have started the best part of moving...the Purge! Getting rid of stuff. Eliminating clutter before you move it. Going through everything you own and asking yourself, "Do I still want this?"

We started today, going through files and paperwork. I must have cleared at least thirty pounds of old paper from my file cabinets. Old bank statements, bills and receipts. And it's just the beginning. Oh, yeah, it feels real good. This time I made a promise; I will be brutal, I will be unrepentant in my purging, and I will take no prisoners.

2 comments:

SteveG said...

Jeez, time flies by. How bout more photos of your new place?

The Noel Olken Show said...

okay, they're coming...