Thursday, February 02, 2006

Going to California. Its time.


There are big changes ahead for me this year. I've never been one to just sit around and wait for things to happen. When I do, I'm never happy. I like action and adventure. So, in a few weeks, I'll be loading up my car, saying goodbye to friends and family, and moving across country to Los Angeles, California. Hollywood - home of the film industry. That's where I want to be. That's where I have to be.

16 years ago, after years of being a wandering traveler and a five-year stint in Europe, I moved back to Chicago. I have really enjoyed it. Chicago, my hometown, city of my childhood and my most lasting memories, is the place where I discovered who I am, met my wife, and found so much inspiration from the friends I have around me.

It's where I learned the craft of filmmaking. I worked for many years as a location manager, got into the DGA, and directed my first feature film. I am known as an independent producer, and closely associated with the IFP/Chicago, having served seven years on the board of directors of that fine organization. Many know me as the producer of the feature film, Cup Of My Blood, directed by Lance Catania, which I brought from a script to worldwide distribution. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.

I didn’t even know how important it was to me to move to California until I decided to do it. A decision I made with my significant other. The lovely and amazing Kris C. has encouraged me to run off and join the circus! With support and encouragement like that, how could I not do it? With a woman in my life who wants only the truth for me, how will I not succeed?

The Beatles sang, “All you need is love”. Well, what do you do with all that love when you get it? The answer is, you will do amazing things. It's true for me. True for us. True wins! Just gimme the truth! (John Lennon)

Why did Dillinger rob banks? Because, he rightly concluded, that’s where the money was. I am a filmmaker in search of my next film. Los Angeles is where the film business is.

I’m so sorry Chicago; don’t look at me like that, like I’m ah, ah, like I’m a traitor. I can’t take it when you do that. I know I said I would always be a Midwest filmmaker, and I will, I just won’t be in the Midwest! I’ll try to come back, I promise. You know how sometimes people just can’t see you until you go away? That’s what I think will happen. You’ll see.

Like I told someone today, I love making films, I don’t care what my role is, I just love being a part of the process. I’ve produced, directed, written, acted, edited, composed, done foley and ADR, location scouted, P.A’d, made the coffee, parked the trucks, and once, I even got yelled at by a director for not picking up his dirty laundry.

That will never happen on one of my films, I can guarantee you that. People like to work on my films. I take care of people, we have fun, and the work is better for it.

Why leave home to join the circus?

I am moving to LA to be a director, an actor, a writer, and a musician, kind of in that order. I know what you might be saying, how can you do all that? There are so many people there already! Well, I don’t want to hear it. There is only one of me, and no one can do or would do what I do. Yeah, I’m unique and special all right.

I am getting so many good ideas and clear visions for what I want to do there. How I am going to accomplish all this, you ask? I don’t know yet. I’ll figure it out. I am not worried that I don’t have a place to live yet, let alone all the answers to all the questions. It’s coming to me. I just trust that if I follow my heart, and live my dreams, the dream will come true.

You see there is nothing to be afraid of, except not doing what you really have to do this lifetime. Identifying it is the first step. For me, once that’s done, the rest is easy.

Years ago I just picked up and moved to France. I didn't even speak the language; I just knew I had to be there. It all worked out pretty well. And when I decided I wanted to be somewhere else, I just moved again. For me, it’s just that easy.

Well, that's the story of my move to Los Angeles. Drop in again soon, as this blog will become more active and posts will appear more often. Maybe even everyday. Wow, what a concept.

Peace out and wish me luck.

Noel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KOOOOOOOOOOL, en majiscule with a gigantic K. For Fun & Folly. Dada Klub aka Richard

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»